Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Panicked No More


I am back to my regular schedule at my part time bakery job. I am very fortunate to have this bakery in my universe.


The day I found out my job was being eliminated, I went into the bakery and got some soup for lunch. I had become acquainted with the owners through my PTA duties. When I was asked if I needed anything else before I left, I sarcastically said, "Yeah. A job." I was immediately offered a job at the bakery. After discussing this idea with my husband, we decided I should do it. Working part time would be a great thing for our family. It would get me out of the house, give me more time with the boys, more time for stuff around the house, more time for the gym. It was a win-win situation.


If I had no idea how lucky I would be. I have made some of the best friends of my life at the bakery. I go to work in a place where I am treated with love and respect. I am helping a business that gives a ton back to the community, thrive in my community. Leaving the bakery for summer was difficult. I was nervous about spending so much time with the kids and little time with adults. I was concerned about the loss of income, meager though it was. It paid a good number of bills in our house and helped keep my piggy boys fed.


And we made it. I am panicked no more. I see my friends. I am home for my kids at the end of the school day, which is important for me. I have my tiny income back. Life is good.


One word of advice to anyone who may come into our little bakery. Kindly say please and thank you to us. We may be lowly bakery wenches, not because we are incapable of doing anything grander, but because this is what we choose to do. Please be respectful of our choice.

No comments: