Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Team Work

The kids are watching "Wonder Pets." I can't be unhappy with a show that has the following theme song:

Wonder Pets, Wonder Pets
we're on our way
to help a baby [insert animal name here]to save the day
we're not too big
and we're not too tough
but when we work together
we've got the right stuff

Over the next few months, team work is going to be the thing that helps my friend and her family get through a major crisis. Her husband has been diagnosed with cancer. The exact type is yet to be determined. The doctors seem to believe it's one of many forms of lymphoma. According to what I've read, lymphoma has a very high survival rate. The oncologist told them yesterday that if it is lymphoma, he can be cured. It's going to be a battle, but there are so many people around to support them, they will win.

One thing that I've really loved about not working full time is that I've gotten to know my community. Instead of leaving my neighborhood at 7:45 am and not returning until 6:15 pm, I get to stay here most of the day and interact with members of my community. I work part time at a bakery a mile away. My friends come visit me there. At the pool, I've met some wonderful people who my kids will go to middle school with. I walk the dog and get to know other dog owners. My neighbors bring me food. Last week we got little brownies and some homemade guacamole. I feel part of something that will endure. I thought the friendships I had established at work were real, but they were more out of necessity. There were people I thought were friends but it turned out that, once I left the workplace, the friendships evaporated. These enduring friendships that I've made in my own neighborhood are what get people through difficult times.

People, don't ignore your neighbors! Make some cookies and take a few next door. You never know when you will need the companionship and support of the people in your own community.

No comments: