Thursday, March 26, 2009

Get Help


Not for me. Do you listen to Writer's Almanac? Is it just me or has Garrison Keillor got the most morbid taste in poetry ever? I'd post some of his selections here but it would probably be a copyright infringement. I'm not big on breaking the law. I do encourage you to check out Writers Almanac online and definitely go through the archive to read some of the daily offerings. My sister, a lifelong Minnesotan has informed me that the residents of the Land of 10,000 Lakes are officially done with Garrison.





More Cooking with Sweet Potatoes

After the rousing failure with sweet potato fries, I tried my hand at sweet potato crisps last night and they were much better than the fries. You basically dehydrate them for a long time in the oven at about 200 degrees. I do mean a long time. It took at least two hours. The trick is thin slices and frequent turning. You also have to make sure your crisps are in one layer on your baking sheet. This means that, unless you have a commercial oven, you will either make a very small amount of crisps or have them going all day. I chose the former.


I have a temptation to make pumpkin seed butter next. I truly doubt anyone will eat it, but I'm curious.


On Juvenile Fiction

My first grader has moved onto a new book. called Sardine in Outer Space. He got it for Christmas but just picked it up this week. He is so into it, I caught him last night at about 9:15 reading by flashlight.


Sardine is a graphic novel about a girl named Sardine, who, with her Uncle Yellow Shoulders are trying to stop the evil plots of Doc Krock and Super Muscleman. In one chapter, DK and SM are trying to kidnap all the children who misbehave. I'm happy to report that they are foiled.


It is very delightful to hear my son laughing out loud as he reads. Again, I tell the naysayers, if getting books like Sardine and Captain Underpants get your kids to read, then how can they be bad? Don't judge the quality of a book by the proportion of words to pictures.


That's all for now. Enjoy your day.



No comments: