Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Finished the Book




I finished "The Emperor's Children" yesterday. I'm proud of myself for finishing a book I didn't like. Yet I'm wondering why I did. I guess I felt I owed it to you, my loyal readers. Ha ha ha. I don't want to spoil anything for you, but the events of 9/11 have an impact on the unlikeable characters lives, but not in a wholly satisfying way. The Emperor, Murray Thwaite is at Danielle's apartment for an overnight tryst when the planes crash. He's supposed to be in Chicago and even though he knows going home will reveal his deceitful ways to his wife, he goes anyway. And there are no consequences. She doesn't get angry, he doesn't seem to be humbled by her behavior. He just goes on being his shallow, self-absorbed self. The magazine launch is postponed inevitably to Lugo heads off to London to find new work. Marina should take this opportunity to leave him, but she doesn't. Julius, who I continually want to call Julian ends up destroying his relationship with David by having a fling in a bathroom, during which he is caught by David and severely beaten. He, too, doesn't seem changed by anything. And Frederick behaves most strangely of all, but then again, maybe not. He basically fakes his own death and flees to Florida, until he is spotted by Danielle and then readies to flee again.


I can relate to Frederick. He's totally let down by this group of people he's idolized and wants a fresh start. Who hasn't wanted a fresh start? I cannot, however, begin to comprehend the other shallow, people in this book. Wholly unsatisfying read for me. I find myself remembering my response to Woody Allen's "Crimes and Misdemeanors, " a film filled with unlikeable people who literally get away with murder. I guess in my very simple mind, good should triumph over evil, even though I know it often doesn't.


My next read will be "The Charterhouse of Parma." I also got "The Dangerous Book for Boys" by Conn and Hal Iggulden. This is essentially a reminder to todays children that there is more to fill the void than video games, text messaging and Youtube. I showed it to my boys. I think the bright red cover and the huge gold letters make it look somewhat enchanting. I hope my boys keep this forever so that their grandchildren will one day, find it in their libraries and go off to try making crystals and quote inane Latin phrases to their teachers and parents.

No comments: