Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Fried Green Tomatoes and Other Summer Delicacies


My tomatoes are plentiful, but still very green. We're all growing impatient for them to ripen. My husband couldn't take it anymore so last night we made fried green tomatoes. Having grown up in the Midwest with no connection to the South, this is a dish I have no experience with, but it seemed simple enough. I didn't need to worry about letting the tomatoes warm to room temperature, as recommended in many recipes. They were coming right off the vine. I sliced them to about 1/4 inch in thickness, dipped them in milk and then in breadcrumbs. I fried them in peanut oil until they were brown on the outside and soft inside. Some people use cornmeal instead of breadcrumbs. Some make a cornmeal batter. It's a matter of family tradition and taste. The tomatoes were delicious. I would have taken a picture but they weren't very pretty. Some of the breading came off. I'll keep trying.


It's getting to be time to harvest the basil and make pesto. When both my boys were infants, I would put fruits and vegetables in a food processor and blend until they were smooth. Then I would freeze them in ice cube trays. At mealtime, I would plop a couple cubes in a bowl, microwave until they were thawed and serve them up to the waiting child. My "homemade" baby food was inexpensive and healthy. I think I'll freeze some of my pesto the same way so we can enjoy it this winter. I'll do the same thing with the chives. Of course, now I wish I had been more ambitious with my vegetables and herbs this summer.
We'll head back to the local picking farm for blueberries next week. For now, it's time to get ready for day 2 of VBS!

No comments: