Monday, July 23, 2007

Will the Kids Keep Reading?


There is much discussion about whether or not, with the publication of the last in the Harry Potter series, if reading will now die for children? Some say there will never be another series of books that mesmerizes our children so much. They may truly believe that after this summer, kids will not read anymore. I disagree. There are kids that don't enjoy reading. My oldest son didn't really want to read for pleasure. He was required to read daily for 25 minutes for school and that was what he was willing to do. We checked out a wide variety of books from the library, fiction and non-fiction alike, trying to find the perfect book for him. Then one day, I told him my love for reading came from the way books gave me an escape. I said I loved how I could open a book and be in a completely different place and time. That did it. We checked "Dragon Rider" by Cornelia Funke out of the library and he felt what I felt. He is now hooked. What a relief! Now he reads willingly, sometimes sitting for hours so he can finish a book. The new Harry Potter awaits. He still needs to finish books 5 & 6 before he gets to it. He's very excited.


With such an anticipated ending, I'm a little afraid someone will blow it for us. I've told many people to keep the ending to themselves. I've avoided all reviews of the book because I'm sure some smug reviewer who didn't care for the book will happily spoil the ending. These are dangerous times we live in...


I succumbed to all the ads for Dunkin' Donuts Iced Coffee yesterday. My husband wanted a donut and I was thrilled. "Let's go to Dunkin' Donuts," I exclaimed happily. Off we went on our errands. First stop Target to try to get an inner tube for the Schwinn Sting Ray, among other things. Second stop. Dick's Sporting Goods for another try for the inner tube. Finally, to the donut shop. It was packed! There was a line about half way to the door. I had no idea. We made it to the front. I was confronted by choices. Did I want a flavored Iced Coffee? What kind of donuts? Are Boston creme the same as the Bavarian creme I was told to include in our order? Did it really make sense to only get 6 when 12 were a mere $2.50 more. Finally, my turn. I got one plain iced coffee and one vanilla spice, along with an assortment of donuts. I put in my straw and took that long awaited sip of what I hoped would be a spicy, creamy, cool treat. YUCK!!! It was so nasty! My husband took his plain one and came to the same conclusion. I couldn't let $4 go to waste so I tried the plain one. Not bad. Thankfully, the calorie and fat content wasn't too bad. A 16 ounce iced coffee with cream and sugar has 120 calories and 6 grams of fat. I may go back for another plain one, but I'll have to figure out how to do it without the kids. I don't need them to get hooked on donuts.


Vacation Bible School begins today. Should be fun. I am teaching 1st graders. In my very limited experience teaching Sunday school, I've learned it's better not to have your own kids.


Until tomorrow....

No comments: