Thursday, August 9, 2007

Glue and Heat

My little circle of friends is in a bit of turmoil right now. One of our glue people is awaiting results of a biopsy. This is very difficult to be a part of. I find myself wondering what to do, how to act. You know who your glue people are. They're the ones that hold everyone else together. This comes from the 90's sitcom, "Mad About You." You can search IMDB for more information. I am not meant to be glue. I don't think I want to ever be the glue outside of my own little family. I am more like shiny paper. I hold just fine when the glue is fresh but as soon as the glue dries, if bumped, I am apt to fall right off. But I realize there are times when the glue needs to be the paper or the glitter, or the foam shapes. So I will try to be the glue a little bit.

The weather is miserably hot. We were supposed to go away yesterday to the mountains in Virginia but we postponed our trip because of the heat. The house we are using has no air conditioning and with severe allergies and a little asthma, we decided to let the last wretchedly hot day pass in the comfort of our air conditioned home.

This is not how summer is supposed to end. Summer is supposed to end with fresh fruit and tomatoes, finally ripe, ready to buy and eat everywhere. It's supposed to end with the scent of new crayons and new clothes and new backpacks for Kindergarten. Instead it smells like dying grass and sweat laced with fear.

Say a prayer for my friend.

No comments: