Wednesday, September 12, 2007

New Books

I have been reading another book by Carolly Erickson called "The Last Wife of Henry VIII." I've read a couple of her historical biographies but I think this is the first historical fiction of hers that I've read. It's about Catherine Parr's rise to power in the court of Henry the VIII. Because I'm basically lazy and prefer to be entertained as I am educated, I have grown to love historical fiction. I have become quite well versed on the players of Henry the VIII court through reading various authors accounts of it. I'm sure this latest book will not fail me.

And I am also reading a book by Richard J. Foster called "Freedom of Simplicity." I would never have picked this book on my own. I'm reading it with some women from my church. A friend of mine invited me to attend a Mom's club at our church that meets twice a month. I thought it was just a chance to get together with some women and have lunch. I had no idea I would have to read and study and facilitate discussions of spiritual disciplines. I fear I am over my head. But I am enjoying the book. I've read one chapter. I'm looking forward to the discussion on Tuesday. I plan on doing a lot of listening.

No comments: