Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Food Opportunities

My oldest child is in Chicago visiting his Grandma and Aunts. We miss him, his droll sense of humor, the way he plays the same song on the piano over and over. Just two more days and he'll be home.

I do notice, though, when any member of my family is absent, I have a little more freedom in what I can make for dinner. When the resident gourmand is gone, we can have things like salmon cakes or chili mac. Both are easy, inexpensive and happily eaten by children. They especially like the salmon cakes when I bake them in the star shaped cupcake pan. When the youngest is gone (when that starts to happen) we can have seafood without the requirement of a separate meal prepared for him.

Fish is not big on my oldest's list of favorite foods. It's not my favorite either, but if I can come up with something light and decidedly un-fishy tasting, I'll try it. I was on a quest for fish yesterday, so we went to Trader Joe's and picked up some Dover sole, lime, tortillas, and lettuce and came home and whipped up some fish tacos. I marinated the fish for about an hour in white wine, lime, and garlic. I then sauteed it with onion in olive oil. I served it with chopped tomato, shredded mozzarella and salad. The tacos were great. They were so fresh and light. I could eat them every day. And it didn't matter that the fish disintegrated in the pan. It was getting rolled up in a tortilla anyway. No pictures of this dish. It would not have photographed well.

That's all for now. Enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments: