Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Gross Easter, Too

I am an equal-opportunity food slammer. Easter is also the source of many disgusting holiday recipes. I choose this for today's post.

First on my list for any holiday is the ubiquitous green bean casserole. You know the one that's made with canned green beans, cream of mushroom soup and French's fried onions. I have never had to eat this pile of yuck but I am morally opposed to anything made with cream of fill-in-the-blank soup.

The Washington Post food section had a recipe for lavender honey cheese cake? What is with the need for floral extracts in food these days? I barely want them in my soap, but I'll tolerate them there. How about a lemon cheese cake?

The Chicago Sun Times lists four reasons why you should serve Spam this Easter. Here they are:
  1. It's flexible. You can use it for "any possible application." Huh? Application?
  2. It's cheap. Yes, it is. Poor quality meats usually are.
  3. It's comfort food. Yes it is. In Hawaii. But they eat poi, too. Do you know what poi is?
  4. It's patriotic. Evidently Hormel sent tons of Spam to Europe to the troops in WWII. Not enough of a reason for me to put it on my table.

On a Kraft Foods forum board, a woman was asking for a recipe for rabbit. Yes, it's true. She told her 12 year old son that she would prepare him Peter Cotton Tail for Easter Dinner. Dear Lord.

I'm not sure I can top that piece of nastiness but here's the last try. Honey Cola Ham. Take a 12 lb ham, add 2-3 liters of coke, honey or corn syrup. Bake. So gross. So very very gross.

Stomach churning. Must sign off.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Less interested today in the gross food items, and more interested in the new book listing, Sicilian Tragedee ... Now that sound good, not stomach churning. Do you recommend?

Laura said...

One more comment today. Do you ever watch Rachel Ray while you're exercising? So much fun, so distracting, you can't think about pain while marvelling at her dexterous use of EVOO and honestly, yesterday, she used those canned crispy onion ring things. And she is rich from doing this. America.