Monday, May 11, 2009

Just Me and the Boys

Yesterday, the alpha dog left for Europe. This leaves me, two boys and the non-alpha dog alone for the next 12 days. Our journey began last night with tears from the 7 year old. He wanted to call daddy. Couldn't. Daddy was on an airplane. He wanted to sleep in my bed. Couldn't. Not fair to the big brother who is also sad but trying very hard to be brave. He wanted to call the radio station and talk to the DJ and tell her how sad he was. (Yes, there are still shows that take lots of calls from the lovelorn.) Finally, everyone settled down and went to sleep.

Traveling dad is not an unusual occurrence in our home, but it has been a while since he's been gone. I'm a little rusty on the solo parenting thing. Hopefully, the time will go fast.

Gardening News

We planted a vegetable garden yesterday. I thought it might be fun to see if we could get anything to grow. I hope my neighbors don't mind too much, but they have put up with my waist-high grass so they shouldn't be too offended by some cucumbers, lettuce, and radishes. And if they get to enjoy the bounty, I'm thinking they'll be even happier! The tiny picture is of the markers for the cucumbers and radishes. An occasional reminder to water the garden will be greatly appreciated!


At some point in the past 7 years, I planted Lilies of the Valley in my garden. Two of them pop up for a brief visit each spring. I'd like to plant more but I don't remember where I got them! I guess I'll have to look online for some seeds. The local garden shops don't have a very interesting selection of plants this year. I suppose people are limiting their gardening budgets. Stupid recession

That's all for today. If anyone besides my sister is reading my blog, I encourage you to check out Laura's blog too! http://streetsofstpaul.blogspot.com/

Enjoy your day!

1 comment:

Laura said...

In the glorious midwest, lilies of the valley spread like wildfire. Must be too warm out there.