Monday, June 25, 2007

New to the Neighborhood?


I'm not actually new to my neighborhood but last summer, when my full-time corporate job was eliminated, we decided that it was a good time for me to assume the role of stay at home mom. I certainly knew some adults in the area, mainly the parents of my kids' friends, but I had no connection with any other adults in the neighborhood. A year later, I feel like I have found my home.


I had friends at work, but within a week of leaving my job, all contact with those people stopped. I would make an occasional phone call to someone with whom I had maintained a business relationship for 15 years, but my calls were not returned. My boss made it quite clear that we were through.


Now, I go to the grocery store, gym, Target, Wal-mart, etc and see people who live across the street, around the corner or down the block. I learned about the family who were the second owners of my home. I learned how much the mom loved the wallpaper in the dining room. I also promised that if I ever get around to refinishing the basement and removing the 70's paneling, I will preserve the strike zone her son's drew on the wall. I also know that I have a source for learning who's initials were carved on the post in the basement. People recognize me and compliment me on my garden.


I truly loved my job and the opportunities it afforded my family. This summer, there is no camp for the boys. I have learned how to survive without a quarterly wardrobe enhancement. It's doubtful that The Gap will get any of my back to school business. But I'm so much happier. It's nice to be greeted by your neighbors, instead of being some anonymous person who leaves at the crack of dawn and reappears after dark. My kids like being home afterschool instead of dealing with the chaos of aftercare. I've gotten to know women at church. I've taught Sunday School!


I'm not by any means suggesting that I am a better person for giving up that part of myself. It turned out well for me but that wouldn't necessarily follow for everyone. I struggled to define myself last summer. A huge part of who I was was gone overnight. But I've learned to like the person who took her place.

No comments: