Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sunday's in the House with Laundry


I haven't done laundry since Wednesday. There are about 5 loads to do and it is an absolutely beautiful day. This is a summer tragedy to me. I would much rather go to the pool or work in the garden than do the wash. The other tragedy is that electricity rates have gone up 50% so I did commit to using the solar dryer instead of the electric one as much as possible. The solar dryer takes a much greater time commitment. So far, I have been very inconsistent in it's use. There is a bright spot in all of this. I don't have nearly the volume of laundry in the summer. Summer clothes tend to be smaller and take up less space. I am an expert at finding the silver lining.


I do tend to be quite the slacker mom in the summer. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time my 5 year old bathed in a bathtub with soap. In my opinion, the pool counts as bathing and many of my friends see summer cleanliness the same way. My ten year old took a shower on Friday night so he's in good shape. I won't say when I bathed last, but I can tell you I will be hitting the shower myself very soon.


The dog went on an outing with us this morning which made me feel a little like Paris Hilton. We only went to the garden center up the street, but it felt pretty silly to be carrying this puny little animal. I couldn't help talking to him and kissing his little head. But then I realized I must look pretty useless to the people who were working unloading a truck and loading compost into customer's cars. I sent the dog back to the car with the 10 year old.
More about dogs. My neighbors are from El Salvador. Their daughter plays with my kids and enjoys playing with the dog. But she told us yesterday that her mother said if you watch a dog poop, you will go blind. She mentioned it to me as if she was looking for validation. I don't want to challenge any Salvadoran superstitions about which I am unfamiliar. I also don't want to insult the family. I had no idea what to say! I googled several versions of salvador, poop, dog, superstition, myth, blind and came up empty.
I am currently very well coated in mulch and sweat so I am going to shower. I am offending myself.

No comments: