Monday, July 2, 2007

July

It's already July! Wow! I wonder how that happened so fast. I guess the kids not getting out of school until June 20th may have had something to do with the way it feels this summer is flying by.

We went to the Smithsonian Folklife Festival on Sunday. This is an annual celebration of cultures held on the capital mall in Washington DC. This year it was Ireland, the Mekong Valley and Virginia. The weather was amazing. Clear and sunny and not too hot. I forgot sunscreen but I didn't burn. My five year old got to talk to a motorcycle racer from Ireland. My ten year old got to wander away (within one booth range) and check things out on his own. I was validated as a quilter by a lovely woman from Hampton, VA, and my husband got to watch us all having fun. I actually wouldn't mind going back this weekend. We have the second side of booths to see.

The season finally of Charm School was last night. I was very happy to see the young woman who was my favorite win. Her name is Saphyri and according to her brief bio on the VH1 website, she was raised by her father until he died sometime in her teen years. It sounds like she has relied on others to keep a roof over her head, and those she choose for help weren't the best people to choose. I hope she can use her winnings to get herself a nice place to live so she can find some stability for herself. Poor girl. I have to say, we were in tears last night listening to the women give their speeches. They were eloquent, heartfelt and sincere. We started watching the show as mindless entertainment (there is no other kind for me), but I became very interested in seeing just how commited some of the women were to improving themselves. There were some sad stories in the group, Saphyri, Leilene, Darra (sometimes). I commend Mo'Nique for helping them out.

The dog has learned how to break out of the kennel by pushing one of the latches with his nose and paw. He also went to the door and whimpered twice to go out. He's a genius. We're so proud.

No comments: